1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Serramonte Autos and an Odd Question

So, I am flipping through one of the regular vendor's cards-when a guy walks up to the vendor and says "Do you have any Harrison Bader Autos?"-so of course my ears perk up, and the natural question I asked him, "You a Cards's fan?", his answer "No, I am just buying his autos." OK, the odds of finding these at a Bay Area show are pretty slim. On to another vendor-a new one for me-had autos for $5, and others for $2. The only $5 auto I picked up was 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes-Hometown Signatures Jack Clark-yes the Ripper. I thought I had this but my master list says no.
I forgot which cards I bought from which vendor. So here we go-2016 Bowman Chrome Daniel Poncedeleon (probably the coolest last name in baseball). Daniel was hit by a batted ball in the head May 2017. At the End of September he was finally activated off the disabled list-so who knows what his future holds-he was doing well before getting hit.
Though not pictured as a Redbird, for $2 I couldn't resist this 2015 Donruss Signature Series Ron Gant-not a real successful player with the Redbirds-but he was fun to watch.

I really have a soft spot for the Leaf Certified Materials sets-I mean if I could buy cases of this product and bust them I would. So for no other reason than that I picked up these autos-2003 Felix Sanchez (Cubs) Numbered #322 out of 400. Felix had one season (2003) in Majors-in true Cubs' fashion he stunk with an ERA of 10.80 in three games started.

Todd Wellemeyer had an 8 year career in the Majors-he was with the Redbirds in 2007, 2008, and 2009. With the Redbirds he went 23 and 21, an ERA of 4.31 and 263 Ks. after the Birds he went to the Giants for his final year-released in 2010 before the World Series-signed with the Cubs but retired soon after. Here is a 2003 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Blue #28 out of 50. Dang two Cubs-but love the cards.

Last one up is 2013 Topps Heritage Minor League Brandon Meredith-I picked this up (dealer through it in as a freebie) simply because it is one the best autographs ever-well written and easy to read.  He was with the Astros but was released in 2015 and I can't find any other mention go his being in professional baseball.



4 comments:

  1. Wellemeyer's resurgence with the Cards always puzzled me - while I was glad to see the former Cub succeed, it was so strange to see such a complete turnaround. Anyway, that is a lovely looking card - nice autos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I think I missed out on a decade of Redbird Baseball between living in Michigan beginning in 1999 then in CA since 2005-so I can't say how many times I saw him pitch.

      Delete
  2. Meredith has an old school signature. Don't find too many athletes signing as clearly as him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah right, I probably would have taken days to sign those since I write like a kindergartener!

      Delete