1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Saturday, October 7, 2017

I have Surfaced

So I am no longer incog. I went to Houston last Wednesday and came back Sunday afternoon. My agency was having our national gathering there and I was helping with a presentation. The TV in my room didn't work which was OK because I wasn't really in my room much and good thing not to watch the Deadbirds go out in a whimper.

I knew it was going to be a bien trip when Bein TV was available to watch on the flight-score, or Goaaaaalllll!

After arriving in to the humid and hot place Houston is-my mother is from down the road along the coast and I grew up in heat and humidity but nothing prepared me for the Fall humidity. No wonder my mom go out of Dodge! Hit a couple of breweries on the way to the hotel and a Yucatan restaurant which was pretty good. If you visit Town in City Brewing, please park on the street, you will thank me later-or at least your car will. Beer pretty good and drinkable, a place I could have lingered. Next up Holler Brewing (no picture) a couple of fine 1/2 pints and good conversation with Christine an employee who suggested I hit another one I was thinking of-so, sold. A stop at Merida for some Yucatan meal. The platter was delicious but the Queso so so.

The view from room is the BBV Compass Stadium where the once San Jose Earthquakes play-now renamed the Dynamo. The original Quakes moved soon after we moved to the area. Minute Maid Field from near a conference room-too bad the Astros weren't in town, and their legendary Texas shaped pool, too bad no swim trunks!
So after my last session on one of the days I jumped in my rental and hit Sigma Brewing (Christin's suggestion) and 8th Wonder Brewing. Sigma had an interesting industrial vibe-with a wrestling rink! Beer was good but I really couldn't tell the difference between the Red Ale and the American Pale Ale. 8th Wonder (the Astrodome of course) is an interesting place-you can only use credit cards, you have to buy tokens to buy beer-these are bottle caps. So you can get three tokens and a glass for $15. Interesting place-big outside area-but way too hot to out there this trip. Interesting crowd-I could see visiting here often-especially if I was a young gun-good, solid beer, if not messed up system. Every town and city should have a street with this name.


The last night of the gathering I attended a Dynamo game-I figured why not since I couldn't get a good flight out. After a pre game stop at aforementioned 8th Wonder-which is a 8 minuet walk from the stadium, and the stadium a 12-15 minuet walk from my hotel. After a few more drinks and so-so food off to my seat I went. I got pretty nice seats-so much so I was the only one in the row-actually I couldn't have been any closer. I gotta little mascot love.

I left in the 72 minuet with Alex scoring the lone goal-I would have stuck it out but I had to be up way early the next day. So after I left two more goals were scored, and the Dynamo won 2-1. A good trip, a valuable experience, and a little fun.

2 comments:

  1. Can't stand humidity... but if it means good food and an MLS soccer game... I'd be willing to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed-it was worth it-you really appreciate air conditioning!

      Delete