1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Better than a Blaster Canada Edition

I haven’t been buying much lately, except vintage, autos, and a few boxes here or there. However, I did recently win a 2700 card lot of all different Redbirds for less than the price of a hobby box!
OK, let me re-center-I bought some cool vintage for my birthday last month and will show them off. But for half the cost of a blaster I am most excited about picking up my oldest Canadian issued baseball card, a 1933 World Wide Gum (Goudey) Bi-Lingual back #46 Ethan Nathan Allen-not the Revolutionary War hero-the native of Cinci.
He played from 1926-1938 in in the Majors with the Reds, Giants, Cardinals, Phillies, Cubs, and Browns respectively. His stint with the Cardinals was 1933 during which he played 91 games, had 280 plate appearances, scored 25 runs, had 63 hits, 0 home runs, 36 RBIs and .241 BA/.291 SLG %s.
Hold the presses-I didn’t know this and thank you Wiki. Ethan was the inventor of the Cadaco-Ellis All-Star Baseball Game!
After his playing days he became the coach of Yale’s baseball team from 1946-1968. Included on one of these teams was future President Bush.

The image is from the listing and I think the card is in VG+ condition. The Bi-Lingual backs are more challenging to find, and for me I probably would have paid less attention to the card had I not noticed it.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice addition to your Cardinals PC. I never even knew these existed. Can't even begin to imagine what the Ruth sells for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I know you are cutting back but are going to be at Serramonte? I will but then I will bust a one to meet my wife and friend for the As game. I know I am condition sensitive but I would take any Ruth in any condition.

      Delete
    2. i should be going on saturday to catch up with my friends. but outside of finding a 1973 topps set, i probably won't spend much.

      Delete