1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Saturday, September 16, 2017

E120 1922 American Caramels Joe Schultz


When I picked this card up it became the oldest card in our collection, the E120 1922 American Caramels Joe Schultz.

According to PSA the E120 1922 American Caramels set contained 240 cards, 15 players for each of the 16 teams. The Greenish-Blue cards are NL players and Sepia cards the AL. The cards measure 2” X 3-1/2” and have an oval frame with the player and team name along the bottom. Highly graded cards are hard to find.

Nicknamed the unimaginative “Germany”, Schultz in German refers to a town official, like a mayor-I have Schultz ancestors and it is a very common name. Joe was born in 1893 and passed in 1941. Born in Pittsburgh he played for EVERY NL club except the Giants.  However, he had his best season in 1921 with the Redbirds. The outfielder played in 112 games that season and had 108 hits, and a batting average of .314 with 64 RBIs.


Unfortunately, he died at the age of 47 in 1941 from acute toxic hepatitis. He was the father of Joe Schultz Jr., who was the Seattle Pilots first and only coach, and who was a coach with the Redbirds from 1963-1968 ( a good time to be one). He is next to Tim McCarver, the bald one.

This is the image of the card from the listing, there is a small spot on the left but overall it is very nice condition. I may eventually send it in to get graded once I get over my fear!


3 comments:

  1. Great looking card! Just curious... if you do end up getting it graded... are you gonna go with Beckett, PSA, or another company? I've got some vintage I'm thinking about submitting myself... but I'm kinda nervous myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was thinking of sending in three-four cards but I too am nervous-I have been thinking that PSA is better, for vintage at least. But it does freak me out-I know a lot of people went to TriStar did so to submit items to PSA.

      Delete
    2. Yeah... if I ever do submit to PSA... I'll just drop them off at TriStar. One less thing to go wrong.

      Delete