1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Drinking Spirits, or Sprits Drinking, on the Job

I don't know about you but I always get a kick out of those TV shows where they just happen to have a bottle of bourbon and two glasses in their desk drawer! How do I get a job where that is allowed! Recently I have begun to pick up a few of the only 19 Spirits of St. Louis ABA basketball cards.  As I mentioned here in a post on Bowman STL Bombers cards the Spirits were the only professional basketball game I have ever attended.  I noticed two cards in my pursuit that show the player on the bench either drinking from a cup, or with a cup in their hand. These two are from the 1975-76 Topps issue. First Marvelous Marvin Barnes and Maurice Lucas.
So I began to think there must be other cards that show players drinking, or with cups in their hands. Granted I haven't looked at every card but a quick peruse of The Trading Card Data Base and Google Images turned up a few more but it seems like this really is a basketball and perhaps a football thing-I think? My search didn't find any basketball Topps cards before 1975-76 that showed players drinking. Here are some from 1976-77 Topps cards that do, Rick Barry and Dr. J-really you are going to have Dr. J drinking from a cup as his card picture! WTH

4 comments:

  1. You have to wonder what they were thinking with some of those photo selections....perhaps they were...(I can't keep myself from laughing as I type this)...drunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvelous Marvin, it would not have surprised me.

      Delete
  2. I remember back in the 90's, my buddy worked at a start up company who stocked beer in their refrigerator. Actually... the stocked tons of stuff... including White Castle burgers, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, and a bunch of other stuff. Started making me think I had chosen he wrong career path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at White Castles. I still indulge via the frozen isle

      Delete