1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Better than a Blaster #5


Number of cards in lot: 594 minus doubles and ones we have gave us a total of 212.
Cost of lot with shipping: $29.99
Cost per card of unduplicated cards: 14 cents per card. Ouch!
Quality: 1 Blasters (some “Junk Wax”) 205 dupes, trips, quads etc.
Value: 1 Blasters
Expectations: 3 Blasters
Overall: 1.67 Blasters

Sellers Description.

“Lot of about 500 St. Louis Cardinals cards. Most are from about the last 25 years or so, with a few older. Includes insert cards of Albert Pujols including a jersey card, inserts cards of Stan Musial and Bob Gibson, and cards of stars of yesterday and today like Ozzie Smith, Adam Wainwright, Yadier Molina, David Freese, Allen Craig, Carlos Beltran, Garry Templeton rookie, Shelby Miller rookie, Keith Hernandez, Jim Kaat, Tony LaRussa, Vince Coleman rookie. Includes a complete Stan Musial Donruss puzzle. Includes cards of well-known Cardinals like John Denny, Jaime Garcia, Todd Zeile, Tom Pagnozzi, Jose Oquendo, Tom Henke, Ray Lankford, John Mabry, Brian Jordan, Willie McGee, Gary Gaetti, Joe Magrane, Jack Clark, Jason Ingrinhausen, Mark Whiten, David Eckstein, Mark Mulder, Rick Ankiel, JD Drew and others. Includes a group of 1983 Topps stickers with Smith, Bruce Sutter, others from 1982 World Series champion team. Newer cards are NRMT fresh from packs. Others range from EX to NRMT, with a few worse. Years and manufacturers vary.”

I am catching up on some Better than Blaster lots that I put on hold before and during vacation. When I first spied this lot what had originally drew me was the Pujols relic (which is going for about $6 BIN on the bay) because I thought for sure there were some other gems but when I sorted the lot and there were multiple (12) copies of 1990 Topps Benard Gilkey I knew I wouldn’t get the value I anticipated. The lesson I learned and should have been aware of is don’t review the purchase on the Bay until I process it.

There were some mid to late 70s Topps including a ’76 John Denny, but most cards were from the late 1990s till now. As I mentioned in an earlier posting these are important for us as we lack many of the post “junk wax” cards.  This period also has some of my favorite Redbirds, Pujols, Rolen, Edmunds, Gilkey, Lankford, Kyle, and Ankiel.

What were the “diamonds” in this rough? 1992 UD Brian Jordan, 1994 UD Road to the Show Alan Benes, 1995 UD SP Ray Lankford, 2000 Topps Finest J.D Drew, 2001 Fleer Rick Ankiel, 2005 Leaf Press Proof Jeff Suppan #37/75, and 2008 Topps Highlights Albert Pujols Relic.








Am I the only one who believes the early Topps Finest sets are some of the "finest" ever? I wish I was busting open packs then! The better doubles will be eventually sent to Wes. I haven’t forgot about ya.

All a lot that had potential but the excessive # of multiples ruined any return on investment for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment