1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Thursday, March 6, 2014

What's in the baggie son?

Recently I stopped by a local thrift store that had bags of cards. Those little bedeviling Baggies that entice me with their rainbow of 1980s and 1990s cards and occasional Topps Chrome.

So I bought one for the price of a bottle of coke. What did the big give up? First, there must have been 150 cards in the bag all of which were 1999 Topps. What I think happened is they took a full set and divided them up in to Baggies.

Let's look at the Cardinals and ex-Cardinals first; #162 Jeff Brantley, kind of forgot he was a Redbird, #212 Prospects Brent Butler. Brent never broke in with the birds but did play three seasons with the Rockies. He was traded to the Rockies for Darryl Kile among others, #263 Matt Morris, the guy from Seton Hall played 8 seasons for the Cards. Matt was always one my favorites and when he was on he was dominant.




Now favorite ex or future Cardinals in the bag; speaking of future Redbirds let us start with #192 Darryl Kile the pitcher traded for aforementioned Brent Butler. I was living in Ann Arbor, MI during the time he played with the Cardinals. I will never forget June 22, 2002 when I was watching the ESPN game of the week when news broke that Darryl died while in Chicago for a series against the Cubs. This was devastating for the Cards as he was beloved by his teammates, so much so the Cardinals retired his number 57. Who knows how they would have done with DK in the rotation for several years. How about a rookie card for the Puma? #205 Prospects Lance Berkman. I didn’t always “enjoy” watching him battle the boys during the first half of the 2000s. But I am grateful that he played with the Cards. Who could forget his performance during the 2011 post-season? I am also thankful that he got a ring before he retired. #244 Andy Benes with the D’Backs. I forgot he was a Padre. Andy spent 5 seasons with the Cardinals part of which was with his younger brother Allan. Last ex-Cardinals in the bag, #258 Gregg Jefferies.



I think I will show a gallery of the funniest cards in the bag, I mean these are great, so great in fact I considering picking up the other baggies that have the 1999 Topps’ distinctive gold.

I don't have a scanner so I can't show the Roberto Kelly card which is off the chart funny.





No comments:

Post a Comment