1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Rest in Peace you Crazy Dominican



 I can honestly say that before 1982 I can’t remember too many baseball events-I can remember clearly The Mad Hungarian and his antics, I have a vague recollection of Reggie Jackson and his ’77 World Series Game 6 three homerun history, I can remember Lou Brock and his breaking of the all-time stolen base record of Ty Cobb in 1977-How could I not have living in the STL suburbs. I can remember the ’79 “We are Family” Pirates and that World Series. However, the first real and consistent memories began in 1981 when my dad and I watched Gary Templeton make an obscene gesture towards Redbird fans on live TV and his departure soon after for a light hitting defensive wizard from San Diego.  
 

 The 1982 World Series became etched in my Cardinal Nation memory-as I write this I fear the Birds are in an epic and historical collapse.  But in 1982 it was with Joaquin Andujar that I became hooked, and ditched football. He was exciting, emotional, dedicated, and passionate.
He won the 7th Game of the 1982 World Series, he punched a fan after the horrible, shameful call, in Game 6 of the 1985 World Series (Royals’ fans-how do you in good conscious claim that title so proudly?). So I was saddened to hear of his passing at 62 from diabetes yesterday via one of my many Android Cardinals’ alerts. I will always remember you with fondness. Rest in Peace you Crazy Dominican.

No comments:

Post a Comment