1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

What gives with the 1964 Topps' Curt Flood?

I have been trying to pick off vintage cards, more commons than anything-or minor stars, from our Redbirds' Topps needs list. I started noticing that Curt Flood's 1964 Topps #103 was more expensive than other lower series cards.

Yes, Curt was a pioneer in Baseball for helping rid baseball of the reserve clause. However, he wasn't a superstar. So I couldn't figure out why this card would, eventually when I do pick it up, cost nearly $20. So the last couple of evenings while watching the Birds play I have been scrolling through stories on Sports Collectors Daily and came across not one but two articles on this same issue. Here, is the most relevant of the two articles Curt Flood. Well this article led me to this article on Espn's website Cornering the market. I am not going to rewrite the article but I think the picture below sums it up best. Yes, he has 4,000 of these f&%#@&$ cards!

5 comments:

  1. Well, hopefully a lower grade version is still out there as I will need it for my set build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eyeing one now-the question have for myself is what is going to happen when 4000 of these eventually hit the market-maybe I should hold off-nah.

      Delete
  2. I tried to do the same thing with 97/98 Pinnacle Inside Steve Shields rookie cards. It was literally one of the stupidest things I've ever done in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fascinating-woud make a good post

      Delete
    2. I've added it to my list of drafts.

      Delete