1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Monday, January 25, 2016

Topps Archives Auto Love Part 2


In the way back when I was a “youngster” the Redbirds with three trips to the World Series in 1982, 1985, and 1987 which resulted in two WS Championships in 1982, and 1985* (KC, we all know who really won that series) were the team of the ‘80s. The good times came after not having a post-season appearance since 1968 when they lost the World Series to the Tigers.
These were the players of my youth, I remember others of course. But the staying power of these memories are great and lasting. So when I first discovered Topps Archives Autos I knew we would have to pick up players from those great ‘80s teams.  Who could forget Jack Clark and Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS? I sure can’t. I was attending my local community college at the time and I made sure I was home for the day game in L.A. I mean his homerun destroyed the Dodgers (Homerun). Who could forget the “crazy Dominican” that passed away last year? He was a circus at times but he had passion, excitement, and you never knew what would happen when he was on, or off, the mound. Then we have the current third base coach of the Redbirds Jose “Secret Weapon” Oquendo who has the distinction of having played 8 of 9 positions in the ’87 season. Of course Topps capitalized on this and included 9 different designs in the 2012 Archives issue . He also hit a three run home run in the 7th Game of the 1987 NLCS to help knock out the Giants and those clowns Chili Davis and Jeffery Leonard.  Tom “Tommy” Herr whom I believe is under rated in the Redbird historical constellation. I don’t know what may have happened between him and the Birds but I never see him involved in the organization. He has two Archives issues one based on the 1996 Topps and this one based on the much nicer 1985 Topps issue. The loss of Vince Coleman due to a tarp accident during the 1987 post-season changed everything for the Birds. This guy could run like the wind and helped make the “Running Redbirds” an exciting team. You can ask my wife that when we watch the Boys I always exclaim disbelief at the current Redbirds crappy running game.  I don’t get having a game plan that only allows the player to go station to station? I Just don’t get it.Then last but not least is Terry Pendleton who went on to have a stellar stint with the Braves but was pretty darn good when he wore the Birds on the Bat. My white whales of the 80s Topps Archives Autos are Willie, Ozzie, and Whitey.

Jack Clark 2012  Topps Archives Fan Favorites, he also has an Archives Auto as a Giant.

Joaquin Andujar 2005 Topps Archives Fan Favorites

Jose Oquendo 2012 Topps Archives Fan Favorites

Tom Herr           2003      Topps Archives Fan Favorites

Vince Coleman   2013 Topps Archives Fan Favorites (he has a 2003 Topps Archives Auto but with a portrait and also in the 1986 Topps style)
 
Terry Pendleton 2014 Topps Archives Baseball Fan Favorites
St. Louis has lost the Rams again (yes they were in St. Louis back in the day) and are without a team again. Growing up I loved football-in particular the Cardinals and I have been watching for Topps Football Archives autos from the 80s  and have added one to our collection.

 

Terry Metcalf    2001      Topps Archives Reserve Autographs

2 comments:

  1. Love the Coleman, I have the other version. He was my first player collection. I was devastated when he signed with the Mets. Tarp accident was 1985

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you for the Tarp correction my memory failed me. The Tudor Archives auto is boring and actually forgot to even bring it up.

      Delete