1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Monday, May 7, 2018

TriStar "Vintage"

Truth be told I didn't really look for vintage at this year's show for a few reasons:

1. I find the show's lighting to be too dark to be able to detect flaws on ungraded cards

2. I haven't found too many bargains at this show. One dealer asked me what I was looking for when I was flipping through his Bowman. I said "1955 Red Shoendienst" expecting to be told sorry don't have. But alas, he had one he marked at $30 which was way to steep for me in that I can locate other copies on the Bay that are graded PSA 6-7 for not too much more. I could have bargained with him a little I am sure but see #1 as to why I didn't.

3. There were a ton of bargain vintage but I am condition sensitive and I wouldn't be satisfied with what ever I bought, forcing me to buy another more desirable copy.

However, I did pick up a few "vintage" non-baseball cards. There was one dealer next to Mr.Haverkamps' friend that had much vintage basketball and I was able to whittle down my ABA St. Louis Spirits' needs list to one for the '74-75 and three for the '75-76 team sets.

The three cards Spirits' 1975-76 Topps cards picked up are-

Fly Williams RC , Team Leaders (Marvin Barnes / Freddie Lewis), and Team Card

The other "vintage" non-baseball card was a 1983 Topps Football Ottis Anderson-which is helping complete that issue.

The same dealer I picked up the Ottis Anderson card was also the one I grabbed a slabbed PSA 8 1979 Cardinals (baseball) rookies (Terry Kennedy) $3! Yep $3. Who could resist? This was also the last table I hit for the day.


2 comments:

  1. I've thought the same thing about vintage at Serramonte and TriStar. I wonder if they have regular buyers who pay top dollar or something. I think the only deal that I ever received on a vintage card (outside of a few finds in the COMC guy's boxes) is my 56T Jackie Robinson which may or may not be altered. That 79T Terry Kennedy PSA 8 for $3 is a nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is the cost of the show and the distance the dealers travel? I suspect that is part of it-seemed like fewer dealers this year-but perhaps just game used and SGAs.

      Delete