1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Monday, May 19, 2014

Better than a Blaster #3

Better than a Blaster my childhood/teen edition

The eBay description: "A 105 card St Louis Cardinals Topps baseball card lot consisting of 11 1977. Including Gary Templeton rookie card.  13. 1978. 21 1979. And 34 1980 the 26 1981(3 Jim Kaat  bonds  2 Ted Simmons  near mint -mint inc Keith Hernandez  . The 1980 are near mint. Most of cards are nice."
Number of cards in lot: 106 minus double and ones we have gave us a total of 95
Cost of lot with shipping: $9.99
Cost per card of unduplicated cards: 8.4 cents per card.
Quality: 2.5 Blasters
Value: 3 Blasters
Expectations: 2.5 Blasters
Over All: 2.67 Blasters

OK, now I have some of these already but since I was 9 when the 1977 Topps came out these and a few subsequent years’ cards are in fairly bad shape from endlessly flipping through them. Having said that I decided to gamble on this lot of those cards I wore out. How was it? Well the lot did contain 106 cards; 14 1977, 13, 1978, 21 1979, 32, 1980, and 26 1981.  The description indicated near mint, well that was a stretch since they were nearly all bent as if they were in binder pages. All in all the cards were in very good condition, some had creases, and slight bends. However, they are an upgrade on what I have and filled in the checklist for these years.

What are some of the highlights?
                                           1977 Topps Gary Templeton rookie cup card.
                                               1977 Bake McBride (Gotta love the hair)
1978 Bob Forsch (Bob died around the time of the 2011 World Series, a loss for Cardinals’ Nation)
                                           1978 Jerry Mumphries (more hair goodness)
                                                  1979 Ted Simmons (should be in the HOF)
                                                              1980 Keith Hernandez
                                                      1980 Steve Swisher (Nick’s pops)
                                                     1981 Jim Kaat (Kitty Kaat rules!)
Besides reminding me of my youth gone by I am glad I picked up this lot but the only bummer is it reminded me how bad the Topps issues were in ’78 and ’79. I wish they were indeed in near mint this would have given it 3 blasters for fulfilling my expectations.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the look of the 81T's Jim Kaat. Love the way he's mid-pitch and centered on the card. Throw in the color scheme and a solid card design and you have one heckuva card. Nice eBay purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fuji, Kaat was old school. I wonder if still does MLB games? He used to work the post season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still does some games on the MLB network. Does some studio work as well.

      Delete
  3. This is great. I always found him to be insightful.

    ReplyDelete