1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Full Eclipse of the Moon

There are a lot of things I want to blog about, various subjects, gifts, hits, card show pick-ups, etc. But I am also a procrastinator. I am able to  put out 2 maybe 3 posts a week if I am lucky. For example I have been meaning to write an in memorian post. But alas, it took the passing of Wally Moon on February the 9th of this year to get me off my arse to write the post.

Yes "friend" of the blog Wally Moon left us this month. Thankfully there was a Wally auto in Topps Fan Favorites in the 2017 release-bummer it showed him in a Dodgers' uniform. None the less, it is the last, and only, certified on card auto from Mr. Moon. His other on "card" auto is in the 2017 Topps Archives Snapshots-which I don't think is even considered a card.
Wally played for Cardinals from 1954 to 1958, then the Dodgers from 1959 to 1965. Farewell Wally.
Again, because I am a procrastinator here are the former Redbirds we lost in 2017.
Daryl Spencer born July 13, 1928  and passed January 2, 2017. He was 88 years old. Daryl played with the Redbirds in 1960 and 1961, this out of his 10 year career.
St.Louis native and St. Louis University graduate Jim Donohue born October 31, 1938 and passed September 9, 2017. He was 78 years old. Jim signed as an amateur free agent with the Redbirds-no shock there-however he never played in the bigs with the Cards-though he has a 1960 rookie card as a Redbird. He was traded with Duke Carmel to the Dodgers on June 15, 1960. He managed a two year MLB career.
On October the 2nd we lost former Redbird shortstop/player manager Solly Hemus who passed at the age of 94. Solly  was a player/manager with the Redbirds from 1959-1961. He played shortstop with the Cardinals from 1949 (his rookie year) until early May 1956 when he was traded to the Phillies. However he would return in 1958 when he was traded back to the Birds-only to be released and resigned.
The last Redbird to leave us in 2017 was Evan Tracy Stallard born August 31, 1937  and passed December 7, 2017. He was 80 years old. Tracy spent the last two years (1965 and 1966) of his 7 year MLB career with the Cardinals. In 2015, Topps released his Fan Favorite auto-which I was lucky to pick up for a song at our Serramonte Cards show in 2015ish. This is also his only certified on card auto.
Rest in peace everyone. when I can I will do the same for Football Cardinals and St. Louis Blues.

Hold the Press-as I was double checking the Trading Card Database I read of the loss of another former Redbird. On February 13th, yesterday, Tito Francona passed-father of Terry was born November 4, 1933  and passed at the age of 84. Of his 15 year MLB career he only played in 1965 and 1966 with the Redbirds.

2 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard about Mr. Moon until now. Definitely sad news. Thoughts go out to his family and friends, his fans, and all of the card collectors out there who treasure his cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't say it better-I know from what I read he was fan friendly.

      Delete