1966 Topps Baseball Wantlist

Friday, January 19, 2018

Interlude or Deja Vu?

Sitting here feeling a little under the weather with plenty of time to surf the internet I have been skimming through cards from other countries and other sports on some of my favorite, yet obscure blogs and websites. This includes Tony's Sports Cards (UK) on which Tony did a masterful job of showing together various cards from UK, US, NZ, and Australia and the sports we play-this gives one a good look at the "similarities" across continents and sports. I will spare the Topps/OPC issues and the English/Scottish Football Cards discussed below. Images of non-US cards are from Tony's site.
Topps 1968 Football issue
Scanlens 1969 Aussie Rules Football top and Scanlens 1969 Australian Rugby League on the bottom.

1968 Topps Baseball
Scanlens 1970 Aussie Rules Football and 1970 Aussie Rugby. Scanlens would use the same design for 1972  and 1973 Aussie Rules.

1973 Topps Football
Scanlens 1974 Aussie Rules Football and 1974 Aussie Rugby. Scanlens ever so original and with slight modification, would use the design for the Aussie Rules and Rugby issues for 1975.

1978 Topps Football
Scanlens 1979 Aussie Rules Football and 1979 Aussie Rugby.

 1979 Topps/OPC Hockey
Scanlens 1980 Aussie Rules Football and 1980 Aussie Rugby.

That's all for now-I will keep posting these as I find them-I am sure if I did a little "research" I would find a connection between Topps and Scanlens and if we ever find ourselves at an Australian flea market and come across any of these they will be all mine.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, they didn't hide the fact at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scanlens had the same sort of agreement with Topps as OPC did...we just rarely see them in the US because they aren't baseball or hockey and much farther away. They straight up repacked the Star Wars cards of Topps. I've seen the box on the internet but didn't think to save the photo and can't remember where or even when I saw it. It basically looked the same as ours but had the Scanlens logo instead of Topps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic-thank you for the run down-I find the Rugby cards interesting a very much like watching the sport-but my wife not so much-which makes picking them up hard

      Delete
  3. Very cool post. I've seen this with soccer (or futbol), but never with rugby. Shame they didn't go way back and do this with my favorite set design... 1956 Topps baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fantastic-I would pick it up for sure

      Delete